Sunday, November 13, 2011

Holiday Goodies!

Whew! It's getting busy around here! Steers to the processor, Turkeys to be picked up, Hogs to be harvested, add to that fall lambing and a partial move and I think I need to be 3 people! We've made a few changes in our schedule so orders get out more quickly and thanks to Dr. Bacon a more streamlined ordering process is being designed.
Turkey and Beef share pick up is next Saturday unless prior arrangements are made. I would also like to ask that when you stop by the pastures please do not feed the animals, Most of the mother cows are friendly but there are a couple of old bossies out there that will HURT YOU if you try to get too close to their calves.
Sean is here visiting and has taken on the oversight of the sheep flocks while he is here. (Good Job for a Scottish Hill Shepherd on vacation!) I am having a great time relearning my all too rusty Gaelic! He takes the young dogs with him in groups of 3 so that by the time he heads back over the pond I will definitely know for sure if my instincts are correct on who to keep for working. He agrees with my choices on replacement Rams so far (He refers to them as Tups as they are all young Rams) and likes the breeding program that we have in place. YAY ME! ( I even got a compliment out of him on the quality of the lambs, and a compliment from a Scot is Hard to come by!) Remember to get your orders in for December Lambs, Commercial Crosses and Dorpers this round.
All of the bred cows have been ultrasounded and we have a 90 percent conception rate! Whoo HOO! 2 sets of twins were detected so we know to keep a closer eye on those ladies as calving time approaches. (yes I am praying for no Freemartens this next year) The remaining girls will go in with the bull next week to see if we can get them covered, any that don't take for the second year will rotate out of the breeding herds. All in all it has been a fairly good year with only a few OMG Call the Vet nights. The Truck problems fouled us up for a bit but we are back on track and grateful for your understanding and support. I thank God every day for the life that I am able to lead, the amazing people that I meet along the way, and the good friends that have come into my life. Thank you for being part of our farming and ranching family and have a wonderful Holiday Season. (Oh, Please tell Santa that I would LOVE a Camera for Christmas so I can add pictures to my blog posts! (The one on my cell phone is less than great)I promise that I will act surprised!) Until next time...
Dia, cairde maithe, beostoic sla'intiu'il, agus madra maith, coinni'onn du'inn cad iad. (God, good friends, healthy livestock, and a good dog, are what keep us)

No comments:

Post a Comment